Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Day Ahead

I woke up earlier than expected/planned/wanted today to the sound of my beloved Seymour throwing up all over the bed.  Which meant hauling myself up to strip the bed and get the laundry going at an ungodly hour.  But now that I'm up, and have so much extra time today, I'm in a quandary as to how best to use it.  My brain immediately went into overhaul, thinking of all the possibilities.  Which of course, total WAY more than can be reasonably done in a day.  I feel kind of obligated to continue working outside today since it's not raining, and the rain this spring has put me further behind than I'd like to be.  But I don't really want to, and I'm not good with obligation.

So now it's time to slow down and take a breath.  Have a little breakfast and make a reasonable plan for the next few days.  This will include an obligatory check of the Weather Channel so I can plan the few remaining outside chores (they are few, but sizeable). It will also include a draft To-Do... one that I can use as a brain dump to put down all the things that I want on the list.  Then I can go through it and prioritize, figuring out the best way to use my time, and mercilessly eliminating those things that are nice-to-have's but not really that important for the next few days.

Taking a breath is important.  It's the only way to get the hamster off the wheel sometimes.  And feeling in control of tasks will help me stay in control of my choices.  So now it's off to work!

1 comment:

  1. I too was up way too early, 4:30 a.m., working by 5:00. Just finishing up. Then the question is what do I do with the rest of the day. Do I go back to bed for a while and get some much needed sleep? Do I go out in the yard and get done some much needed weeding? Do I possibly go out to lunch with hubby for some much needed hubby time? Do I get to work on the next job for some much needed $$$?

    Possibilities are endless

    ReplyDelete